In 1960s the Korean society being in the long-cherished desire accumulation phase of capitalism as a part of world system made a economic growth, producing and exploiting space. This study aims to make 'the structure of Korean desire' clear by deducin ...
In 1960s the Korean society being in the long-cherished desire accumulation phase of capitalism as a part of world system made a economic growth, producing and exploiting space. This study aims to make 'the structure of Korean desire' clear by deducing the gap between the real and the representation through the 6 topics like Daehan News, Se Woon Sang-ga, cinema, city novel, popular music and popular magazine.
1. In ‘Grammar of Propaganda : A Pentadic Analysis of the Daehan News 1960～1969', we analyze the <Daehan News> shown at a theater from 1960 to 1969. Giving an eye to a way that 'Daehan News', a governmental propaganda formed, induced and implanted a particular desire-system of the people at that time, this study shows the structure of desire which the society in 1960s let off.
2. In 'The Modern Desire of Se Woon Sang-ga', we try to draw 'the development-desire of modern industrialization in Korea' through the Se Woon Sang-ga opened in 1967. Se Woon Sang-ga is a mythical sign of prosperity in those who, having revived, tried to live life to the full. In this chapter, we find a shape in a changing process where the urban space in 1960s was came into force and transformed.
3. 'The Representation of a Urban Space as an Object of Korean film and Desire' examines a joining point where it was divided by duplicating the desire of individual and of state power. A movie, a representative of the popular culture in 1960s, is a popular text crossing over of the desire of individual and of state, and a urban space represented by a movie, a reserved field while realizing of modern desire. This study draws the characteristic of the structure of event shown in the space of city in Korean film, putting first to analyze narrative and discourse.
4. In 'The Politics of Space Shown in the Urban Novel in 1960s', we take the subject as an object for our study who would be subsumed or also be excluded in a urban space. We can signify the urban novel as a forceful deprivation of a spatial right, and a violent exclusion of urban subaltern. After all, we can say that, to fire up the capitalist modern city, it keyed up 'the system of modern competition' by setting the subaltern and the city poor in arrange as a continuous idle labor-force.
5. In 'The Aspect of Urbanization Reflected in the Popular Music in 1960s' we draw an urban emotion comparing and analyzing the lyric and melody of trot and standard pop. According to its analysis, we know that the urbanization in 1960s required a high power of expression. Having been reflected by an experience of a new multitude which is a powerful change of feeling induced by urbanization, and an actual experience of urban space divided by section, this shows that standard pop is a product of urbanization.
6. In 'A study of the Popular Magazine and Urban Lifestyle in 1960's', we draws the process of forming a modern urban lifestyle in Korea, analysing <Yeo-Won>(1955-1970). After our analysis, we can understand that the popular magazine took the section of society(38.05%), home(29.97%), culture(29.15%), and the others(2.83%) as its theme, and created a pattern of urban lifestyle by representing an ideal toward a space for life and culture in city.
Behind the aspect of 'modernization of the fatherland' in 1960s, there were a superposition of identification/conspiracy/resistance, a spontaneous desire of urban people. The state power took charge to realize 'everyday embodiment of capitalist discipline and competition principle'. However, the multitude also dynamically increased a spontaneous desire of the subject as an economic and cultural need about a urban space. We can understand through this study that, hereafter, 'the revelation of positive desire of individual subject' needs to be realized, got joined together with history, ecology, and culture for urban cultural space in Korea to be formed in the process of democratic communication rooted in civil ethics.